Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tuesday, June 26, 2012: TWOfer Tuesday - The "Jackson Browne Isn't Pretending" Edition



My sister took me to my very first concert.  It was one of those No Nukes shindigs that were so popular in the 70's & 80's.  The headliner was Jackson Browne.

I wish I could tell you that it was some memorable experience, that I came away totally changed by my introduction to live rock and roll.  But I can't.  I can't remember one single thing about it.  Maybe I was too young.  Maybe all the No Nukes speeches were too boring.  Who knows.

What I do know is that, since that time, I've come to deeply respect Jackson Browne.  Well, when I say that I've come to deeply respect Jackson Browne, what I really mean is that I've come to realize that Jackson Browne kicks some serious ass.

How many artists who released their first album in 1972 are still going strong?  How many have released critically acclaimed albums through most of those proceeding decades?  How many artists are as respected for their activism as for their artistic integrity, without going so overboard that most people think you've turned into a douchbag (yes, I'm looking at you, Bono).  How many have written so many bitchin' tunes?

Very few, is the answer.

Jackson Browne is an artist.  He's the artist.  He's not just pretending to be cool, talented and respected.

He's the real deal.


0 comments:

Post a Comment