Monday, August 16, 2010

CSOTD EXTRA: The Gap Band - Burn Rubber on Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)



One of the side benefits of doing this CSOTD blog, is being able to bring you news that might not be covered too much in the mainstream media.

Like the recent death of Gap Band Bassist Robert Wilson, who died of an apparent heart attack on Sunday, in his home in Palmdale, California. He was 53.

I won't go into the details of his life here, but the Los Angeles Times has a good article HERE, and there is also a good article from Tulsa World, Tulsa being the hometown of Charlie, Ronnie and Robert Wilson, the founding members of the Gap Band.

Very few bands sounded like The Gap Band. When I first heard You Dropped A Bomb On Me, I felt like I was shaken down to my core and scales were lifted off these white, suburban, insolated eyes. Like when Sphere first visited Square in Flatland, I was introduced not to a new form of music, but a whole different dimension. Of music, of culture, of expression, of life.

RIP Robert Wilson. And thank you. For everything.

0 comments:

Post a Comment