Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thursday, February 17, 2011: Glenn Miller & His Orchestra - In The Mood



Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Glenn Miller

I blog about cool music.

These names ARE cool music. They are part of the essence, the fabric of what makes music cool

If you do not know who these people are, then stop what you are doing and go find recording from each and every one and listen to them. Right Now.

I guarantee you, it will be your Acts 9:18 moment, when the scales fall off your eyes (and ears) and you will hear clearly what this blog is truly about. And what cool music really is.

I hesitate to blog just one song from this time, and I chide myself for waiting even this to do it. But, you know, the floodgates of doubt and hesitation are already opening.

Was this the right song to choose? If I die tomorrow, would I regret not blogging another big band leader, another swing song?

Possibly.

But what I'm doing here is trying to reclaim this song. It kills me that this music is only played as a connection to World War II. They are always trotting out this song, or "String of Pearls", for the soundtrack to some war story, or as background fodder for yet another documentary about the last great war, when in fact In The Mood is as fresh, exciting and cool as any other song around today. Even more so, to be honest.

So just get up, clear some space on the floor, grab your best girl (or guy) and dance like there is no tomorrow to one of the great dance classics from yesterday. For all time.

Enjoy

0 comments:

Post a Comment