Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday, January 9, 2012: Britney Spears - How I Roll





Welcome to the "2011 Year In Review" Week her on CSOTD.

OK, so that's not entirely true. There won't be some detailed timeline running down the important events and musical releases of this past year. This won't even be one of the ubiquitous "Best Of" lists that are all the rage for the entire month of December. No, this is going to be more of a carefully chosen, yet still somewhat haphazard selection of 2011's cooler tracks, tunes, hits and overlooked gems.

So, let's start from the top, shall we?

Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone Magazine named How I Roll by Britney Spears as the #1 Song Of 2011

Now, to be fair, he claims these are his 25 "favorite" songs, not necessarily the "best" or "most popular" songs.

As did everyone else, I too scoffed when I first heard about Mr Sheffield's choice for #1.  Then, something strange happened.  Something magical.  I actually listened to the song.

Over to my left, gentle reader, are the stacks of song choices I keep written down for this humble blog.  Stacks of paper.  I have an entire sheet devoted to 2011 songs I needed to sort through to make up this 2011 Year In Review.  No other song, not one, has stuck in my head the way How I Roll has.

There are plenty of great songs that were released last year, hopefully I've found a couple of cool selections for you.  But, believe me when I say, none will have the staying power that this song has.

Which is a perfect analogy for Ms Spears career, if I'm honest.  Yes, I was mocking her too when she looked chubby and disoriented on the VMA's.  Yes, I too have yawned through her divorce, kissing Madonna and the obligatory drug rehab. The thing about it, though, is this.  Her first record was released in January, 1999.  How many other artists from that era are still making music?  Decent, quality music?  How many artists from that era still matter?

Ricky Martin?  Creed?  TLC?  Len?  Korn? Backstreet Boys?  Smashmouth?  Sixpence None The Richer? Jewel?  I could go on (and on, and on, and on), but you get my point.

As it was so wonderfully illustrated over at HotPopTV, here is the froof that she is the Princess of Pop forever..

90's - BRITNEY SPEARS vs CHRISTINA AGUILERA
2004 - BRITNEY SPEARS vs HILARY DUFF
2005 - BRITNEY SPEARS vs FERGIE
2006 - BRITNEY SPEARS vs BEYONCE
2007 - BRITNEY SPEARS vs MILEY CYRUS
2008 to 2011 - BRITNEY SPEARS vs LADY GAGA

So many have come to challenge the Princess of Pop, but there can only be one...

It's Britney, bitch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment