Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thursday, March 22, 2012: The Skyliners - Since I Don't Have You



I still remember very vividly the first time I ever heard In The Still Of The Night by The Five Satins.

I remember the brief crackle of the needle hitting the vinyl, picking up those scratches and dust on the old 45, and then that sound coming out of the speakers. That sound. The Do Wop vocals speaking what seemed to be another language, echos of an almost lost tongue from a different time. I fell in love with that sound.

I've since heard that song on CD and in digital form, and while I've explained before I've never bought into the "Vinyl Is Better" mentality, I've frankly never heard The Five Satins sound as good as they did from that old scratchy 45.

Here is another dispatch from that same, lost time. Topping out the charts at #12 in 1958, here is Pittsburgh based Jimmy Beaumont and his Skyliners, featuring the stunning soprano vocals of Janet Vogel.

The feelings of love and the loss of love have rarely, if ever, been expressed more beautifully, than through old Do Wop songs. God In Heaven I love this stuff.

I hope you do as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment