Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wednesday, February 9, 2011: CSOTD is SIX MONTHS OLD! HOORAY!

HAPPY SIX MONTH BIRTHDAY!

Yes, started officially six months ago (and, can I just say, Games Without Frontiers by Peter Gabriel is still one of the coolest songs ever played on this blog), CSOTD was just something to bring me out of the doldrums, soon became an obsession and now has kind of dominated my life in a weird way. I just can't stop thinking about cool songs to blog.

I said at the outset that I would keep this up for a year, then we'll see what happens.  At this halfway point, I am still torn if I want to continue this beyond August 9, 2011 or not.  I guess we'll see.  But, gentle reader, be confident that whatever happens, I will continue to bring you cool songs right up until that point.  Rest assured.

And, of course, any feedback you want to give me, encouraging me to continue, would go a long ways in helping my decision.

Anyway, enough of that, on to todays selection: The Indigo Girls.



I'm going to celebrate CSOTD's Six Month Birthday by sharing selections from my single favourite musical act ever. Number one. The Greatest in my not so humble opinion, The Indigo Girls.



This duo, consisting of Amy Ray and Emily Saliers, have been going since 1988, and I've been a fan ever since I first heard Closer To Fine, still one of their most popular songs.

But, by no means, their best. It's a fine song, no question, but they have come so much farther since those dark days of the late 80's.



See, here's the deal; I love them so much because they manage to pack more into one song than most people fit into a dozen albums. First and foremost, however, is their songwriting. They are poets, they write poetry. They are as good as Simon and Garfunkel ever was.

Yes, I just said that.

Google the lyrics to that last song, Mystery, and tell me I'm wrong. Or this song, Language And The Kiss, probably my favourite lyrics they've ever written.



I could do this all day. Suffice it to say the Indigo Girls speak to me in ways that most other music doesn't.

They write about politics, religion, gender, love, hate, war, historical figures, God, money, drinking and just hanging out with friends. And lovers. Their music has made me think far more about what I believe and what my place is in this world. I cannot name one other musical act who has caused as much introspection as this duo. And caused as much joy as well.

It is wonderful to know that there are still artists out there continuing to hone their craft and not looking at the current musical landscape for some reactionary direction to their music, but instead allowing the natural (and sometimes unnatural) ebbs and flows of life to shape and grow their art.



Every single time I listen to an Indigo Girls song I am encouraged. On many different levels.

And, just if you think that all they do is that syrupy folk style music, I'll leave you with a more upbeat number.

With a banjo.  I know, right?  Wicked cool!

Now, go, and buy every single Indigo Girls album you can get your hands on. Sell your furniture if you need to, you don't need chairs and tables when you have such great, great music.

The floor is fine.  Well, closer to fine at least.

0 comments:

Post a Comment