Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wednesday, December 14, 2011: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Down Boy



When I was young I had this dream. It took place in the future, I was in the local shopping mall, but it took place many years ahead in time.

I went to a video game parlor I used to frequent; this was in the 80's when those places were popular. I guess I wasn't smart enough to dream about Xboxes and Playstations and how shops like Sega Center wouldn't be around in the future.

Anyway, the whole place was a lot brighter in the future, and the walls were painted yellow. I think they were normally dark red.

I was walking around looking at all the futuristic video games, and I just couldn't understand how to play any of them. The games weren't shoot-em-ups, or space invader type games, or anything I was familiar with. One was just a screen with a cloud of rolling, changing color, and the player had to do something but I couldn't figure out what exactly. He was quickly moving his hands around the bottom of the screen, and really twisting his whole body as well. He eventually threw down his hands hard against his sides - the universal symbol for I Lost At Videogames.

After wandering around a while, I found this old school (even for the time I dreamt this) driving game, some Formula 1 type game, where the perspective is looking down on the car and the track. Nobody was on it. In fact, it looked like it hadn't been played for a long time. Well, I thought, I could do this.

So I put my money in and started to run that track. I was doing so well I began to attract the attention of other gamers. They gathered around amazed, talking about how well I was doing at this game, even though it was fairly easy for me.

And, that's it. That's the dream. Hand over heart, I have never forgotten it. I couldn't tell you why I continue to remember that dream over the thousands of others I've must have had over my life.

This has nothing to do with today's CSOTD selection, by the way, I just thought I would share it, just so someone else in this world knows of my dreams.

0 comments:

Post a Comment