Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday, January 25, 2012: Sammy Davis Jr. - The Lady is a Tramp



I got such a positive response from my posting of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy by the Andrew Sisters, that it seems I have struck a chord with

I don't want to necessarily turn Wayback Wednesday into a permanent feature, but I am more than happy to continue to visit the archives now and again.

Up today, is cool personified.

When he was around, he was known as The Greatest Living Entertainer In The World.  Here was someone who could do it all--sing, dance, play instruments, act, do stand-up - and all as good as anyone else ever had. Or has since.

And as much as he was known for his talent, he was also as influential as any in confronting racism in the entertainment world - especially in tightly closed markets like Las Vegas.

And all that while smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day.

Here's to you, Mr Davis. You jumped so high.

And I'm pretty sure no one has danced and sang like that since.

0 comments:

Post a Comment